Thursday, June 4, 2015

The Other Couple in Love

I hardly ever do a #Throwback Thursday post anywhere, but ever since I mentioned My 1979 Mustang Cobra in two separate A to Z Challenge posts this year, I've been thinking about the pictures in mine and Pete's first photo album.  In that album I have the following picture of our two cars under the heading "The Other Couple in Love".


See, my Mustang was so much prettier than the one I found a picture of online for my A to Z posts. We thought it was so cute that each of us owned a sporty, fast hatchback.  That's a very slim, 21 year old Pete standing behind the AMX.  And me on the porch in the photo below.


Pete's AMX was two-wheel drive, even though they made them with 4-wheel drive.  But that never stopped my Petie-Pete from taking it through the worst roads into Bush Lake and back!  He'd just hit the mud hard and fast and slide through the hole! 

Guys in the know will recognize that the mags on this machine are some very rare, very coveted wheels.  I can't begin to count how many people have tried to buy those wheels off of Pete over the years.  There is absolutely no chance of that.  He'd sell me first!  He bought them off of his brother Tommy.  They have been on every single vehicle he has ever owned.  He even adapted them out twice to put on a Volkswagen pipe-frame hoopie!  

Speaking of wheels, you'll notice in the picture at the top, my Mustang has the factory mags on it.  Well, I had seen a really cool look in Hot Rod Magazine I had wanted on my Cobra, but when I went to the big Modica Brothers in Beaumont to get my car tricked out like that, they told me it couldn't be done, shook their heads and laughed at the little lady.

For my birthday, Pete surprised me by picking up my car at work and taking it to the Modica Brothers in Silsbee and having it done!


It took the installation of some hydraulic shocks on the rear, but ta-da!  What a super, good little hubby he was!  A total surprise, this remains one of the most special gifts my hubby has ever given me.

The gang at Modica Brothers was so proud of how it turned out, they put a picture of my car under the glass on the coffee table and it stayed there until they remodeled many years later. 

Hope you enjoyed the trip back to 1984.  

Did you and your spouse have similar tastes in vehicles when you married?

What is one of the most special gifts your spouse ever gave you?

Ever purposefully go muddin' in a car?  Ever go over 90 mph in 3rd gear?




   

16 comments:

  1. Ah, 1984. I remember it well. As for the other questions, I'll answer them just as soon as I find myself a husband. At this rate, that should be about 5 minutes before I die.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, LIz, you could have replied to the muddin' or 90 mph questions. LOL Don't give up sweetie! I dated a number of folks. Thought I was pretty serious about a couple. It wasn't until I swore I was through with anything but dating guys for sheer fun that I met my Petie-Pete. Love will sneak up on you when you least expect it. ;)

      Delete
  2. Like this entry and the cars. Once Mel (my deceased husband) ask what I wanted for Christmas. I said a pair of diamond ear studs thinking that would be a cold day In august. Imagine my surprise when that was what he gave me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed this, Paula! Thank you for sharing your special story with us!

      Delete
  3. Both beautiful cars! A wonderful walk down memory lane

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hubzam's car is purely functional. We come together as one mind about the family car!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heyya.. Both beautiful cars! A wonderful walk down memory lane.. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Glad you enjoyed strolling down that lane with me.

      Delete
  6. nifty post and spiffy cars. My husband is a Chevy guy -he's got the 2015 Camaro now. I'm a good passenger, don't care if I drive it. But I'm happy when he's zooming along. (with no tickets)
    Happy driving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your husband is living the dream! When it comes to trucks, Pete is a stone solid Chevy/GMC man. When it comes to one ton diesels, my son is sold on Ford.

      Delete
  7. Super cool pictures and story to go with it! My hubs and I have only been married 6 months, but he once made me a cookie with my face on it for Valentine's Day :)
    Brandy from Brandy's Bustlings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Brandy! Sounds like you've got you a sweet hubby!

      Delete
  8. Great story down memory lane! In 1984 I was a sophomore in high school and drive a 1970's something Datsun ( before Nissan) station wagon. It was such a piece of crap but I guess it was perfect for living out in the country where I did. I wrecked the passenger side so the door didn't open and everyone had to either crawl through the backseat or play Dukes of Hazzard and squeeze through. Good times!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Now that's a fun little story! Funny how when you are a teen any wheels are great wheels!

      Delete

So glad you stopped by! Come 'round any time. ~ Barbara

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...